What to do at the Scene of a Car Accident in Puyallup
Car accidents are unexpected and nerve-wracking. Your heart is racing and you could be hurt. Knowing ahead of time what you need to do at the scene of an accident is important. Below are tips to help you through the process and help you get the information you need to protect yourself if injured in a car accident.
Take pictures of key information: Insurance Card, Driver’s License, Vehicles, Visible Injuries
- The other driver’s insurance card AND driver’s license showing their address. In the instance that your case requires a lawsuit, your attorney will need to know the driver’s address to serve them with a summons and complaint. Many people believe a copy of the other driver’s insurance will suffice, but taking a quick photo of the at-fault party’s drivers license goes a long way in making your attorney’s job easier.
- Take photos of the vehicle involved as well as any visible injuries of yourself or your vehicle occupants. In our business, a picture goes a long way in showing the extent of your injuries. Remember the phrase “A picture is worth a thousand words?” Photographs are impactful on insurance adjusters, defense attorneys, and juries alike.
Call the police to the scene to complete an accident report
- Sadly, stories change all the time after parties leave the scene of the accident and each calls their insurance company to report the car accident and any injuries. Having an officer out to the scene to hear the story of both drivers goes a long ways towards a successful outcome.
What if the police won’t come?
- In some instances, police refuse to come to the scene of the accident unless drivers indicate they are injured or blocking traffic. If this is the case in your accident, see our next point to assist in getting the facts on paper.
Attempt to have the other driver admit fault in a brief statement
- If the police won’t come to the accident scene and you are left exchanging information with the other driver, ask the other driver to write a short statement noting they are accepting fault for the car accident. Something along the lines of “I was involved in an accident on July 4th, 2019 in Puyallup, Washington and agree that I caused the accident” will go a long ways towards a successful resolution of your claim. Taking a short video with your phone will work just as well.
Call your Puyallup car accident attorney
- Your personal injury car accident attorney will know the next best steps for you to take for your accident. Resist the urge to give statements to insurance adjusters before you’ve spoken to your attorney. If you are within the state of Washington and you’ve been involved in an accident call our offices at (253) 286-7444 or (253) 820-9780 after-hours to speak to a live attorney direct from the scene of your accident.
Work with your attorney in scheduling appropriate medical appointments
- One of the most important components in the successful resolution of your car accident case is the prompt medical follow-up to address and document your injuries. Your attorney can help you navigate insurance issues, claim numbers, and the task of finding the best medical attention to address your injuries.
If you or someone you know has been injured by the fault of another in a car accident, they deserve and are entitled to compensation. Call or message us today at our Puyallup office (253) 286-7444 or rob@SearsInjuryLaw.com.
recovering millions monthly
Offices open 24-7
Call Us to get fair and reasonable legal representation for your injury.